Just as what you put onto your skin can affect your body as a whole, what you eat greatly affects your skin as well – its health, tone, brightness, tightness, elasticity, and more. What skin-friendly and healthy foods can you start eating now to help improve the health of your skin?
Try these 10 super-good-for-your-skin foods:
- Carrots, apricots and other orange and yellow fruits and vegetables have high levels of Vitamin A which is known to help repair damaged skin, improve skin texture, prevent dry and flaky skin, and maintain healthy skin.
- Green leafy vegetables (such as spinach and kale) are so good for maintaining healthy skin. They are full of high levels of antioxidants, iron, and vitamins A, C, and E.
- Beans are also full of antioxidants which remove free radicals from your body. Free radicals contribute to signs of aging such as wrinkles and dry skin.
- Tomatoes have antioxidants as well, including the antioxidant lycopene which improves the skin’s natural SPF, helping protect it from the sun.
- Berries – blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are great choices. These are rich in antioxidants and vitamins C and E. Vitamin C helps make collagen which is considered the facial framework tissue. It helps keep your skin plump and smooth. (Here is a delicious recipe that uses blueberries, though the most benefits are derived when they are eaten fresh and unheated.)
- Fatty/oily fish (such as Salmon) is rich in essential fats – such as fatty acid Omega 3 – which are necessary to keep your skin healthy. They help maintain skin elasticity as well as keeping your cell membranes healthy.
- Nuts, particularly walnuts, contain fats which help improve skin elasticity. They have antioxidants as well and Vitamin E which can help protect your skin from the sun and from inflammation.
- Whole grains (such as brown rice) are great for your digestion which in turn produces healthier skin. The many nutrients they contain will also help improve your skin’s natural glow.
- Sunflower Seeds per ounce, contain approximately 35% of your daily need of Vitamin E which will help keep your complexion clear.
- Green Tea is loaded with antioxidants and contains catechins which are anti-inflammatory. Drinking green tea can improve the smoothness and elasticity of the skin.
And don’t forget to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Keeping your skin hydrated is one of the most important steps to healthy, beautiful skin!